Dry January: 7 ways to use alcohol (other than drinking it)
by Holly T.
January 23, 2023
2 MIN READ
It’s coming to the end of January and perhaps you’re well on your way through Dry January.
But, do you have a bunch of leftover alcohol from the Christmas holidays? Don’t want it to go to waste and looking for ways to use it (other than drinking)?
Don’t worry, there are plenty of other ways you can put it to use without breaking your Dry January. From beer to vodka, we have a few ideas for you to check out below!
🐌 Get rid of snails and slugs in your garden
- Bury the lid of a jar in the soil so that it is level and fill it with beer. Slugs and snails will be attracted to the yeast and drink the beer (sadly until they drown).
🧴 Put on too much perfume?
- Dab a little bit of vodka the places you applied too much and it should balance off the scent.
🏡 Garden looking a bit dull or have some brown patches on the lawn?
- The sugar in beer stimulates microbes to break up soil and acts as a fertiliser, so mix beer and water and hose your garden with it every three weeks. The soil will absorb the nutrients, helping it grow back as fresh green grass!
🧺 Freshen your laundry
- Have some clothes you haven’t worn in a while and they’re starting to smell musty? Mix equal parts vodka and water, put into a spray bottle and banish the odour on your clothes!
💐 Save your flowers from wilting too soon
- Add a few drops of vodka to your plants water to keep them more fresh for longer. You can also add some sugar to the mixture to preserve them even longer.
🧽 Polish metal with gin
- Get out those old pots and pans that are starting to look a little dull and polish them with gin!
🧼 Remove grease stains
- Have a half finished bottle of wine that you haven’t touched and smells off and vinegary? Use it to remove stubborn stains from fabric – a bit like vinegar.
Fancy trying some of these? Let us know what you’d like to try and how it goes!